Monday 14 October 2013

Week #5: Microblogging & Your PLN



Weekly Report & Reflection Blog Post #5:

Welcome to Twitter MSiviero

Before I give insights into my Twitter injection this week – I would like to vent about the user names that I have to re-invent every time I sign up for new accounts. It seems that over the years that my once unique name, mloulous, has somehow found its way into cyberspace as a common name next to janesmith. This is my call out to anyone who knows how to copyright user names, if there is such a thing, please let me know before I become 777777777mloulous777777777777...


Siviero, M. (CC) 2013 [Personal Communication Image].

Thank you Twitter for my e-mail notification and array of suggestions – but really? Obama and Perry – I am still trying to find the Twitter family-tree connection in that one.

#TWITTER #USERNAME @7mloulous7 

 

This week was all about Twitter and thanks to Pam Moore I now know the difference between a #hashtag and hashbrown. I do have to admit that it was exhilarating to experiment with tweeting but, I can’t believe I going to say this aloud, I enjoy Facebook-ing more than Tweet-ing! - there I said it. However, (this is the big BUT), I have come to value the essential benefit of having Twitter, over Facebook, when it comes to building an effective PLN.

In the world of social networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, it is easy to understand why many users are being bombarded by the social space-war zone that has come between them. Yet, in actuality, the differences between these social tools really rely on how you manage their applications.

Twitter is famous for its micro-blog approach and ability in creating a social network market by using symbols and limited characters that users can glance at with ease. Ironically, some say that Twitter builds your PLN but in reality it is up to you to make it work as a positive learning network. Only you can contribute to Twitter (asides from being hacked) and as such, only you can enhance your PLN within the social network tools. Now, don’t get me wrong Twitter has its advantages such as ease of navigation and sorting out great resources that can assist in building your PLN yet, it’s still up to you to discover which resource is creditable in following and adding to your PLN.


Issacrea. (2010). Twitter Vs. Facebook [Online Image]. 


“Twitter is more than just “another social networking tool”. It differs from Facebook in that it isn’t just about reconnecting with people you know or sharing what you’re cooking for dinner; Twitter is about connecting with like minded educators for personalised and ongoing professional development” (Morris,2011).






MAKE ROOM – ADDING TWITTER TO MY PLE 


The visual aspect of my PLE is still under construction but I am enthusiastic that adding Twitter will brighten it up. I just hope that my motivation in implementing Twitter (and all the other added new tools) will last long enough for me to actually reap the benefits of their proclaimed advantages. I am contemplating actually where to incorporate this social tool - as a PLN tool I think it fits nicely as a collaborating tool as well as a research tool in my PLE.  I am committing to using Twitter for the remaining seven weeks and have already used it as a research tool for my course assignment topic: #DigitalHealth and Wellness.




Weisgerber, C. (2011). Twitter + PLN [Online Slide Image #26].  Link
Setting up my PLN using Twitter was easy to do thanks to the tips that Connie Weisgerber gave in her audible slide share presentation. The key in harnessing the full power of Twitter is to know who to follow – especially leaders and innovators – and then explore who they are following and before you know it – voila – your PLN is working for you – bringing the sources and information in less than 140 characters.


DON’T BE AFRAID TO TWEET – TWITTER CAN BE FOR NEWBIES


Weisgerber, C. (2011). 
Twitter + PLN [Online Slide Image #20]. 
 Link
I have discovered that you don’t have to be afraid to tweet – as a matter of fact – don’t tweet right away – sit back and follow some of the top educational experts that are SME in your area of interest. When you’re ready just follow some advice from Twitter for Newbies and the 10-5-2 rule that Brad Flickinger articulates in his video - Building a Personal Learning Network– begin with following 10 people who can add to your PLN than add 5 blogs and end off with 2 pod casts – simple to do – YES! Just remember that your PLN is worthless without you, meaning that while following others is great, the true empowerment of Twitter is the sense of sharing and learning with others that enhances your PLN to its fullest potential. Besides this, it also gives that sense of greatness (accomplishment) that can be attributed from being followed (some would call it like a leader). So thanks to all of you (11 so far :) that have made me feel ‘follower-worthy’ @7mloulous7. Keep in mind, everyone has to start somewhere.

#140CHARACTERS: WHERE LESS IS MORE

My parents were always so impressed with how many words I could say by the time I was 2 years old – little did they know that this may have actually been a curse of mine. My close friends may say that I have a charming ability in talking their ears off whereas my children may say that they wished I would just get to the point. To be honest, this is what I was afraid of the most when it came to actually tweeting – being mandated to be creative in 140 characters.


Ferrell, K. (2010). Twitter for teachers. [Online Image].  Link

“Twitter’s 140-character-or-less rule forces all thoughts and ideas to be imperatively brief. Run-on sentences, multiple ideas and too much input are a thing of the past. The question is: Can creative briefs be condensed significantly while still providing enough input for the team to move forward? I believe so…” 
 (Nelson,2011).


Do you want to know the truth? I failed with my first tweet attempt – you got it – a simple task of an introduction was all that was requested in my course and sure enough I went over the 140 count. I quickly realized that Twitter did care about what I wrote – only as long as I followed their rules (I knew that all those years of telling my students to follow the KISS rule was going to bite me in my butt).  I needed help and so back to the Tweet board I went and came to realize, and agree with Tia Fisher, that Twitter is indeed a micro-blogging tool wherein less does equal more – more opportunities to glance at tweets and read what matters, and what matters is letting your followers know that you have the ability to be creative and informative, by getting to the point. So for any of you first time users – let me tell you – if I can do it – you can too.

LET THE #HASHTAG WORK FOR YOU - NOT MAKE FUN OF YOU

In just the first few days of joining the land of tweeting – I began my first tweet, than my second which included using a hashtag (yes – I can bow down to the symbol #) and am currently now up to my 8th tweet (give the turtle a chance to run – it may take me a few laps). I am actually amused by how many hashtags people have invented, and even though, I am just a novice at “hashtagging” (I think this is word), it was Denise Scavitto’s advice that enlightened how the power of a hashtag symbol can be used to harness great resources that are valuable for educators alike such as #edchat. There are some great resources out there on the web listing hashtags that you might want to follow and use. So just don’t sit there – Tweet and hashtag away – but just don’t abuse the #. Keep in mind that a hashtag still follows your digital footprint –so make it fun and worthy and not a parody.  

TWITTER FOR EDUCATORS

Did I know what Twitter was all about? Yes – would have been my answer prior to this week’s session. I thought it was just another tool that people used to socialize about what others (mostly celebs) had to eat or what they did on their vacation – oh boy, little did I know that I had some surprises coming my way.  It is never a great feeling when you find out how your misconceptions, which have led to years of stubbornness, have now been proven beyond a doubt – wrong (this is me shamefully pointing my finger back at me).


My jaw was left hanging wide open as I engulfed the vast amount of educators that use Twitter as a tool to educate.  Over the years, I have been asked to join Twitter but purposely stayed away so that I could lessen the act of breaching student and teacher relationships. However, this is where I now have to clunk my head (hard) with my educator’s hammer and be able to now focus on the capabilities that Twitter has in my educator’s tool box and PLN.


Doyle, C. (2010). Twitter bird. [Online Image].  
 Link

 

 

“By sharing and following our passions through connections and collaborations with others around the world, we demonstrate life-long learning for our students”  (Graffin, 2011).







Many of the readings and activities this week (too many to list - #overload) all had a common theme: Twitter for Teachers is possible and can be used to enhance an educators PLN in numerous ways.  The Twitter Handbook for Educators  and 35 Interesting Ways to use Twitter in the Classroom  were interesting enough that I bookmarked them via my DIIGO. The advice on how to build PLN for educators gave insights into how I can add Twitter into my PLN, as well as my PLE, as a collaborative tool by sharing and learning from others of the same interest. What do you know…back to one of my biggest beliefs – the key to learning is sharing!!  All I have to say now is – Welcome to MSiviero’s PLN Twitter!


BREAKING NEWS VIA MY FEEDLY

A must read for those of you who support Twitter’s-microblogging-anatomy of 140 characters or less - Twitter may end its 140 character limit – yes, that is right – do all good things have to come to an end? Good grief – I hope not, after all, I was just getting my groove on in my creative thinking and acknowledging that less is actually more!

FINAL WORDS – IN TWITTER STYLE

How To Manage Your PLN Using Twitter Lists http://www.edudemic.com/how-to-manage-your-pln-using-twitter-lists/  via @edudemic #ADED1P32 #ITWORKS #COLLABORATE

References:

Graffin, M. (2011, July). What the heck is a PLN? Retrieved from http://www.slideshare.net/mgraffin/what-the-heck-is-a-pln
Morris, K. (2011, June 22). PLN challenge #3: Using twitter to build your PLN. Retrieved from http://teacherchallenge.edublogs.org/2011/06/21/pln-challenge-3-using-twitter-to-build-your-pln/
Nelson, A. (2011, January 8). Writing a creative brief in 140 characters or less. Retrieved from
Weisgerber, C. (2011). Empowering students through personal learning networks. Retrieved from http://www.slideshare.net/corinnew/empowering-students-through-learning-networks

1 comment:

  1. Very good article. I am going to share this idea to my friends and family. Thanks for your valuable share.
    Regards,
    Best Social Media 2019

    ReplyDelete