Sunday 3 November 2013

Week #7: Practicing Digital Literacy!



Weekly Report & Reflection Blog Post #7: 
What’s Up Google Docs?


Do you dislike group work because you find it is like ‘pulling a bull by its horns’ when trying to gather-up team members to set a date and time to discuss a particular topic? Do you find it annoying when you discover that the project you edited was already completed by another team member? Is your computer getting over-loaded with files that seem to take forever to upload?  In all honesty, I can answer – yes – to all of these problematic questions.  The solutions to these problems can be solved with innovative collaborative tools that make team work a more enjoyable experience.

This week was all about using collaborative tools that make group work simpler. In particular, I was able to explore and use TodaysMeet and Google Docs (now integrated into Google Drive). Both of these tools have advantages and limitations but for the most part my experience was positive.

LET’S CHAT


Siviero, M. (CC). 2013.

Setting upTodaysMeet was quick and easy as 1,2,3,4: 1. Create the name for the room; 2. Decide when you want TodaysMeet.com to automatically delete your room; 3. Click Create Room and; 4. Let others that you want to invite know the link and, date and time of the chat. Voila, done! This is exactly how easy it was for me to meet with my research partner, Jannett, to discuss our upcoming digital element research project: Digital Health and Wellness .

While this tool is easy to use its primary disadvantage, for me, is being limited to 140 characters with every message (sounds familiar to you Twitter fans). In an environment where you may need to chat about broad topics this method can become quite frustrating. Other limitations can include trying to keep up with a discussion that is 'moving fast' –  you may find that you have to scroll the tab to read what was typed before you even have a chance to type your ‘limited’ message. This becomes more compounded when you have more users in the chat room. (FYI: This was not a limitation that I encountered since it was only my partner and I; however, I did find that I had to scroll to find previous messages).

The user friendly mode of TodaysMeet makes it a ‘good’ (not great) tool for those users who may not have another method of communicating live. You do not have to download the program into any device, such as with Skype, and you are able to set up a meeting at the last minute if necessary. All that is needed is a mobile device and internet connection – and if you need to save the chat discussion this option is easily available. Saving the transcript from my experience with TodaysMeet was easy to do – especially with the provided directions, which also helped in setting up this collaborative online tool.

To date, I have decided to place TodaysMeet in the ‘connect and communicate’ category of my PLE; however, it is questionable if I will actually use this tool in the future. The only advantage of keeping this tool is that it can be utilized when others do not have another option, such as Skype (my preference).  


GOOGLE DOCS, YOU AND ME.


IBNLive. (2013). “Google Drive” [Online Image]. 
Link
I am now officially embarrassed! With so much of Google-in your face- apps, how can I have never known about Google Docs? What is more disturbing is that I have never even been introduced to it over the last three years (the amount of time I invested with online courses). Is it possible that others have never known about the great features that this tool offers? Well, let me tell you the benefits do outweigh the limitations to this innovative tool – way to go Google!

This week’s introduction to Google Docs has let me recognize and explore the major advantage of working simultaneously, on a group project, in an online environment. It was evident within minutes of exploring this tool how ‘cool’ the app was. The auto save features is extremely beneficial especially since I have ‘lost’ presentations on my PC many times. The ability to work with my research partner and chat while both editing the presentation gave a sense of working right next to her. The versatility that this program offers as a cloud-computing tool, not only allows the user to collaborative with others, but it can also be used to aggregate information, organize extensive or simple files and, create presentations. Even though, I love my PowerPoint, Google Docs takes it a step further – outta my hard drive and into cyberspace. A little intimating to say the least but the multitude of advantages that this digital tool offers outweighs any of the disadvantages that I encountered. I am looking forward to implementing this tool into my PLE (I would be a fool to do otherwise) under the categories of aggregate, organize, create and most importantly, collaborate.

As a side note, I took advantage of the Google Drive PC download feature but will more than likely remove it. Only because I find that ‘my elephants’ in Evernote are more efficient in organizing information.  

WHAT FACTORS TO CONSIDER WHEN SELECTING A COLLABORATIVE TOOL

With numerous digital tools available to the user it is no wonder that some are feeling overwhelmed with the process of ‘picking’ the right one to fit their needs. For me, a collaborative tool must not just meet my personal needs, but also others that are working with me.

In considering the tools available it is wise to take Mesko’s (2013) points and questions into consideration:
  • Number of users involved;
  • Privacy issues in regards to sharing the information publicly or with selective audiences;
  • The storage (file size) that the tool can support;
  • Are recording features available? and;
  • Is the main aim of discussions live chat or project management?

These points can assist the user in choosing a tool that works best for the team.  Other factors to consider are the advantages and disadvantages of the particular collaborative tool that you are considering.

THE ADVANTAGE AND DISADVANTAGES (yes, there are some) OF GOOGLE DOCS

For those who are contemplating the use of Google Docs below is list of some advantages and disadvantages (Clendenin, 2012) that may help you decide.


Presenter Media. (2013). 
Two Thumbs Up [Online Image].
 © Link.
Some advantages of Google Docs:
1. Documents on Google Docs are saved to Google’s servers. Therefore if your computer’s hard drive crashes, you won’t lose the document that you’ve been working on.
2. Google Docs offers the feature of allowing people to view past edits.

3. Documents can be shared, opened, and edited by multiple users at the same time. 
4. Google offers one of the best services for cloud computing document sharing.
5. While other cloud computing services charge fees, Google Docs is free.
6. Accessible from any internet device.
7. Includes a word processing application, a spreadsheet application and an application for developing presentations.
8. Working on a document simultaneously saves time and money when undertaking large projects or collaborating across long distances.
9. An asset as an educational tool that encourages active learning.
 

Presenter Media. (2013). 
Hole Hand Thumbs Down [Online Image].
 ©  Link.


Some disadvantages of Google Docs:
1. Google Docs is cloud computing and with cloud computing there is no physical location of the documents shared.
2. There is a lack of quality in Google Docs. 
3. “Search” will know the contents of people’s email and the videos you watch on YouTube.
4. Don’t get an advantage of a desktop suite.
5. Requires a Google account.







PROJECT PLE – UNDER CONSTRUCTION

After consideration of the advantages and disadvantages of all the digital tools that I have encountered these last seven weeks it was time to go back to the drawing board. My focus this week was to analyze and organize, my initial PLE. One of the first steps that I took was to re-organize my subheadings into applicable categories. For this, I referred back to Malan’s (2010) presentation wherein the tools were organized into five categories: Create, Aggregate, Organize, Collaborate and, Connect. I found that these categories were more effective when visualizing all my current tools. With that being said, I also did some tweaking (not twerking) with the subheadings since I was not completely confident where to put all the tools at this point, especially since my PLE is still under the reviewing and testing stage.  

At this point, I have not deleted any of the tools that I initially had in my original PLE (other than a couple that I thought did not belong) but rather, placed question marks besides the tools that I am debating to keep. It is fair to say that giving a chance for the tools that I am fond of is appropriate - even if I like all of them – after all, it is MY PLE.  Sometimes the adage of why get rid of the old when it works perfectly fine is a motto that I have learned to live by  - even though, this might not be the best thing to think when dealing with technology since changing and adapting, is what it is all about.  I will continue to monitor my PLE and look forward to my renovated PLE when week 12 arrives.


Siviero, M. (CC). 2013.

GOOGLE DOCS FOR EDUCATORS

As an educator, I know all too well of the importance of collaborative work and the link it has to the theories of active learning. The conception of experiential (active) learning is an established approach in the tradition of adult education theory. It goes back as far as Socrates and was a major emphasis among progressive educators like John Dewey, Jean Piaget, Paulo Freire and more recently, David Kolb. Dewey claimed that all learning is essentially learning from experience (as cited in Lindsey & Berger, 2009, p.120); therefore, all instruction must be active, the learner being a participant and experiencing it. This is exactly what a collaborative tool such as Google Docs does for the users – it keeps them active – by the simple process of brainstorming ideas and discussing subjects while working on a project. Active learning does not have to take place in a classroom and with technology becoming more part of the educational curriculum, it is necessary for educators to choose digital tools that will enhance conducive learning outside the classroom walls. 


(2008). Google Docs for Educators [Online Image]. Link
“Google is very proactive working with schools and universities across the country….There is a plethora of applications for Google software uses in the classroom .... As the popularity of Google continues to grow, the sooner educators get on board and begin using Google products in the classroom, the better chance students will learn the value and improve their knowledge of technology. Google Docs is the perfect way to introduce Web 2.0 technology to...students” (Frank,2008).
 

If you have any doubts in why collaboration is necessary in education take a look at an article provided by the Institute for Writing and Rhetoric (2013). This extensive article reviews the benefits of active learning and informs educators of the imperative tools that are needed to enhance learning. It is worth the read – but not as much as actually implementing tools, like -you guessed it - Google Docs, into the learning process.

FEEDLY BRINGS ME BACK TO THE 80’S 

For those who were born in the 90s or later, I am sure you can only image about how the world lived in a time without technology. Fortunately (or is that unfortunately), the 80’s was a time wherein I enjoyed my tech-free younger-years, and thanks to my newsfeed this week I was able to reminisce about some of the moments that depicted a world without cell phones or wireless café’s.

The 80’s to me was about more physical socializing than virtual socializing. It was the pre-cellphone and pre-internet era where communication was about slipping in a quarter at the public telephone booth to talk to that ‘special someone’ because it was the only ‘tool’ that allowed some privacy. It was not about texting, or chatting online, or about having the tech-enabled world know your status. It seemed much easier back then, at least for me. It was a time some will never ‘really’ experience – a time where you would gather with your friends at the library for a school project, get in trouble for whispering too loud and, search up and down the numerous aisles looking for that one book that you could turn pages with a lick of your finger.

Beatrice Companies, Inc. (2013). “Cell Phone Parody” [Online Image]. Link
Instead nowadays, you may find techies (also known as my children) slumped over their bed and using a touch-screen laptop to scroll the pixels of words in Kindle  and then texting their friends about the latest online game that takes them away from their homework. I could go on and on about how technology has engulfed our ability to socialize beyond the human figure to a world of invisible connections that somehow, let us communicate with digital tools than with our ‘physical’ senses and abilities.


For those of you who are not able to visualize this era, and for some who can, take a quick look at Pepper’s (2013) article and the embedded 80’s pictures that depict this weird moment in time when things were getting ready to change!.  Changing our world has supported our learning abilities in a million ways – but I still wonder if changing too fast can overload our ability to learn in a systematic order? – Basically, having the ability to keep us sane in todays’ insane tech-world. 

FINAL THOUGHTS – MY ADDICTION 

I had to chuckle to myself at the irony of exploring my research topic this week, Digital Health and Wellness, since one of the sub-elements discusses internet addiction. How can I become a “physical and psychological well-being in a digital technology world”  when I am taking a course that relies on spending more than the ‘healthy time’ in exploring digital tools? How can I become ‘digitally healthy’ in an era that is consumed with technical devices that enhance (or control) the way I learn and live? These are only some of the questions that I pondered upon when I reviewed my research topic. Other questions loom over my head; however, what I am discovering is that the answers are not as relevant as the actions that I must implement.  These actions must ensure that I become, and remain, a digital citizen in a world that seems - addicted to technology.

References:
Frank, M.C. (2008).Google docs for educators. Retrieved from http://edtech2.boisestate.edu/frankm/EDTECH512/google_docs_home.html 

Institute for Writing & Rhetoric. (2013). Collaborative learning/learning with peers. Available at http://dartmouth.edu/writing-speech/teaching/first-year-writing-pedagogies-methods-design/collaborative-learninglearning-peers 

Lindsey, L., & Berger, N. (2009). Experiential Approach to Instruction. In  C.M. Reigeluth &, A.A. Carr-Chellman (Eds.), Instructional-design theories and models: Volume III. Building a common knowledge base (pp. 117-142). New York: Routledge. 

Malan, A. (2010, October 21). Growing your personal learning environment. Retrieved from http://prezi.com/-xhpuupxgjin/growing-your-personal-learning-environment/ 

Mesko, B. (2013). The social MEDia course: Online collaboration. Retrieved from http://prezi.com/ipuvecsfcruz/the-social-media-course-online-collaboration/ 


Peppers, M. (2013, October 30). Michael Galinsky's Malls Across America book sheds light on shoppers that defined 1980s. Mail Online. Retrieved from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2480247/Michael-Galinskys-Malls-Across-America-book-sheds-light-shoppers-defined-1980s.html

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary Lou,
    I like your Feedly choice this week – Zits is one of my favourite comics. I remember reading the Toronto Star Saturday newspaper when I was younger and always going right to the comics. Now, my family does not subscribe to a newspaper as we just look at news through the Internet – just another way that technology has prevailed and dominated! It seems to me that as our society is becoming more digital literate, things like newspapers are slowly disappearing, which is disappointing to me. While I enjoy catching up on current events through applications on my phone or browsing through my Feedly on a computer, I always prefer sitting down with a newspaper while I am eating breakfast or during my spare time. It makes me wonder what popular items today will become obsolete in the future – I guess only time will tell!

    ReplyDelete